The North American Virtual Reference Online Conference (NAVROC) is accepting proposals for our free conference Tuesday - Thursday, Februrary 23 - 25, 2021. We are seeking proposals for 45 minute sessions and 20 minute lightning talks from virtual reference providers relating to our theme, Adaptability: Thriving in Uncertain Times. These sessions will comprise the 2 - 3 hour time frame of each conference day. Because this is a virtual conference, presenters can present from anywhere as long as they have a stable internet connection.
Conference theme: Adaptability: Thriving in Uncertain Times. Participants will hear staff from around the continent discuss how they are using virtual reference services to increase access, forge partnerships, drive equity, and foster engagement -- all when planning for more than a week ahead can sometimes feel like an impossible task.
Potential topics include but are not limited to:
- What changes/improvements have you successfully made because of the pandemic
- Innovations, new technologies, emerging platforms
- New partnerships - how were they formed, and how do they expand your service to your community
- Creative uses of video conferencing/screen sharing via chat
Equity and Engagement
- Centering race in VR
- Mitigating microaggressions in chat
- Utilizing culturally-appropriate resources
- Engaging BIPOC staff and patrons
- Multi-lingual VR services
- How are you bridging the digital divide in your community?
- Marketing strategies for underserved patrons
- Improving accessibility
Marketing and Promotion
- Integrating social media
- Best practices for online finding aids (LibGuides, websites)
- Marketing your service
- Telling your story with data
Evaluation & Appraisal
- Service Evaluation
- Using ratings form users
Self-care in a virtual pandemic world
- Wellness/Self care
- Emotional Intelligence
- Privacy issues
- Creative solutions to staffing challenges
- Ergonomics at home
- Focusing on VR services in specific kinds of libraries (public, academic, government, etc.)
To submit a proposal, please fill out the proposal submission form by November 30, 2020.